What’s the connection between social media and the IPL season? Can it be used to determine the winners of the IPL matches before the match has even been played? If you’re planning to place bets on Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) or Delhi Daredevils (DD) tonight, you might first want to look at what the social signals have to say.
We analyzed the buzz around the two teams across social media and measured the visibility, favorability, trust and affinity indexes of both the teams. Based on our analysis, here are the top three things fans of the two teams are asking on social media.
- Can Shreyas Iyer turn things around for the better for DD?
- Will KKR continue to dominate the DD team like they have always? Or will the home ground advantage help DD instead?
- Will social media’s favorite team become the winning team as well?
We saw how SRH destroyed KXIP, putting an end to their string of consecutive victories. Our last predictions turned out to be right. Here are our predictions for the DD vs. KKR showdown which will happen tonight at the Feroz Shah Kotla ground, New Delhi.
Social media is leaning towards KKR’s win
More than half (58%) of the social media conversations on Facebook and Twitter are in support of the KKR team. The pro-KKR feeds have been retweeted or liked by readers many times bringing it to a total of 61%.
In fact, based on our Trust and Affinity indexes, the Delhi Daredevils’ don’t seem to be too popular and don’t have a lot of people rooting for them right now. It’s probably because KKR had brought home the cup in the previous two seasons. Here’s what some of the fans are saying.
At the same time, DD skipper Gautam Ghambir stepped down because of a series of losses and has been replaced by Shreyas Iyer. A new captain could mean a new game strategy and this could spell bad news for the team as well. Here’s what our Trust Index and Affinity Indexes have picked up.
DD seems to be receiving more comments and posts on Facebook, but unfortunately, most of it appears to be bad news. The last thing the team needs is pressure from the fans who are expecting to see some improvement from the last few matches.
KKR has a superb following on Twitter
What we’re expecting to see
- Since KKR seems to be more balanced, they have a better chance of winning today’s match.
- KKR has a strong record against DD, with 13 wins to their credit.
- KKR currently possess a strong batting department with players like Nitish Rana, Chris Lynn, Russell, Dinesh Karthik and Robin Uthappa.
- Dinesh Karthik and Uthappa are expected to score the maximum runs.
- KKR’s Sunil Narine and Andre Russell are expected to get most wickets.
- Change in DD captaincy could affect the team’s spirit and they may not play well.
- On the other hand, a new captain may be the answer to the string of defeats DD has faced.
- Opinions on social media don’t appear to be changed or reversed the decision of placing Shreyas Iyer as the new caption.
Published in partnership with Talkwalker.
Netscribes offers social media monitoring and analytics services to help brands uncover actionable insights and increase marketing effectiveness. Click here to know more.